Dinas Powys Community

 

 

Home

Home Page

Community Council

Dinas Powys is a community with a population of around 9000, lying approximately 5.5 miles (9km) to the west of Cardiff in the Vale of Glamorgan. 

 

Satellite 
      view of Dinas Powys

The village has the remains of a Norman castle, and the parish church of St Andrew's dates from the 12th century. The population had remained static at about 300-400 until the second half of the 19th century when there was an influx into this thriving rural community, including a big contingent from the West Country.

 

The growth of the coal industry saw the first passenger train arrive in Dinas Powys on Sunday, December 20, 1898, and thereafter the population increased rapidly. The 160 pounds proceeds from the sale of a corner of the Common to the Barry Docks and Railway Company were used to upgrade the green in the centre of the village, known as the Twyn. The work cost a total of 190 pounds and General Lee made up the shortfall.

 

Dinas Powys is a thriving community with a multiplicity of voluntary organisations and social groups for residents to enjoy, as well as a variety of sports clubs. The Common, a large area of open space administered by Dinas Powys Community Council, is a popular recreation area, and organised sport is also played at Parc Bryn-y-Don and Murch Playing Field.

 

Information about Dinas Powys Community can be found by clicking on the links to the left.

 

 

Local Events

Local Amenities

Sport and Leisure

Clubs and Societies

Voluntary Organisations

Maps

Contact

Community Information

Planning Applications

Courses

Heritage Boards

Council Accounts

Policy Documents

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

web counter
web counter